Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day Two Dinner - 1/4/10 - Crockpot Beef Stew

This didn't turn out the way I expected. I didn't have enough of everything. It was blah and tasteless and I should have started it the night before, not that morning. The potatoes didn't cook all the way through, the carrots were okay. I ran out of tomato sauce, and that's really the key ingredient for the flavor in this dish.
Basically it needed more time, more potatoes, more carrots, more onions and more garlic. Cheap? Yes. Tasty? No.
I usually make this in the oven in my clay cooker and cook it at 300*F for about 6 hours and it turns out beautifully. I will probably NEVER make beef stew in the crockpot again. At least not in this old thing. It isn't very reliable and I think it cooks unevenly. It's over 10 years old and well used. Maybe it's time for a brand new one, I don't know. They seem so expensive. And I don't want to buy a used one, because I'll probably get the same problems with one I buy for $10 in a thrift store. Maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and spend $30 or $40 on a brand new programmable crockpot. Maybe spend the $70 on the programmable with the locking lid? Being the Frugalista I am, this is a purchase I really have to think about.
Sorry folks, no recipe for the stew. It was so disappointing I don't want to share it. Maybe the next time I make it in the clay cooker I'll share my recipe, but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment