Saturday, April 10, 2010

Making it from scratch, cooking at home, Italian goulash & turkey stock

This was a childhood favorite of mine, Italian goulash. We didn't call it Italian goulash, we just called it goulash. It wasn't till later in life, when I discovered Hungarian goulash, that I started calling it Italian goulash. My kids call it Beefaroni. They never liked the stuff in a can from Chef Boyardee, or the generic stuff. They always said the canned stuff tasted funny. I guess that's a good thing, they don't like the processed canned stuff, they like the homemade stuff, right?
My kids have always been like that. They don't like canned soup, canned veggies, canned fruit, unless it's something I canned at home. I opened the cupboards the other day to discover that I have very little commercially canned or boxed products in my home. I have a couple cans of green beans, a couple cans of corn, a few cans of evaporated milk, a few cans of sweetened condensed milk, and a box of stuffing mix. I'm not sure quite how old the stuffing mix is, and it should probably be tossed. About a year ago I started dating everything in my cupboards when I bought or made it, that way I was certain things got rotated properly. This box is not labeled, I don't even remember buying it, so it's probably more than a year old.
Here's the link to the Italian goulash (aka Beefaroni) recipe. It says it yields 4 to 6 servings, but it really yields more like 8 to 10 servings, because we're having the leftovers for lunch today. I've included freezing and reheating notes, as well as serving suggestions. If you like it a little soupier, use more spaghetti sauce. In the recipe there is also a link to my crockpot spaghetti sauce recipe. It's very easy and inexpensive to make, and it's the only sauce, besides Sunday Gravy and Christmas Gravy the family will eat. I have 6 cans of spaghetti sauce I bought on sale for 79cents a can about 6 months ago that no one will touch. Those will end up going to the food pantry, because I know if I dare to try to use them for spaghetti night no one will eat it.
Easter was blessed and wonderful. We had two dinners, one with the boys and their father (my ex - weird! I know), and one with my family. Turkey is a big part of Easter dinner for us, and today I'm using up the carcass and the leftovers to make turkey stock, and it's easy and frugal! Not only do I boil the leftovers down (okay, these are the leftovers OF the leftovers!), after it's done cooking down, I pick out all the meat and usable veggies and chop those up and put them in the stock to make pots of soup at a later date.
I'm also going to make ham stock today, but I don't have my actual "recipe" for that written down, I'm in the process of doing that while I'm making it.
Off to make Italian breaded pork chops, baked acorn squash and brown rice with almonds for dinner tonight.
Have a lovely day!
Frugally yours,

Rachael Monaco

No comments:

Post a Comment