Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sunday Dinner with the Family

I love sitting down to dinner with my family, even when it includes my ex-husband. Over the years he and I have had our battles of this, that and the other thing (usually about money or the children or something stupid). It's been 15 years since we lived together as husband and wife, and 14 years since our divorce was final. For many years following the divorce he was a lousy father, and this contributed to a lot of our arguments. He once went 18 months without seeing or speaking to his children.
Eventually we found a somewhat happy medium. Our older son shares an apartment with him, and our younger son visits him on weekends and school holidays and even sometimes during the week. It helps that he lives just 2 to 3 blocks from us.
In order to bring happiness and peace to our children, we celebrated Thanksgiving together this year. My older son, who is studying culinary arts in college, prepared most of the meal, and it was a very enjoyable day with excellent food and, surprisingly, good company.
We repeated this celebration for Christmas, and again had an enjoyable day with excellent food and good company. And again for Easter. Go figure!
I enjoyed Easter dinner so much I thought that we should share Sunday dinner together once in a blue moon. I don't often get to cook for my son the culinary arts student, so this gives me a chance to showcase MY cooking skills!
This past Sunday I made delicious Creamy seafood enchiladas and Spanish rice, as well as pink beans with cheese and fiesta corn. There were a few leftovers, and a good time was had by all.
It just goes to show, you *really* do need to love your children more than you hate your ex. And when you open yourself up and let a lot of that stuff go, you may just find that the person you loved to hate (or hated to love) may not be such a bad person after all. And, surprisingly, I found that by allowing myself to let go of a lot of the resentment I had toward my ex-husband, I found out that he's a pretty darn good father now that he's finally gotten his act together (at 59).

Till next time!

Frugally yours,
Rachael Monaco

No comments:

Post a Comment