Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thanksgiving recipes and traditions

It's November 3, 2010. I'm home, alone...for the first time in days. I'm enjoying a cup of fresh brewed coffee and listening to Christmas music. It's 7:30am. Yes, I said I'm listening to Christmas music! Think I'm crazy? I'm really not! I just love this time of year. It gives me such joy, baking, cooking, tradition, having my family around me, celebrating each other.
Many of you who know me, whether online or in real life, know I believe Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior, but you know I eschew organized religion. Long ago I came to believe that Christmas has it's roots deeply planted in the Celtic Yule celebrations and have nothing really to do with Christ's birthday, which very likely did not take place in December. But, that doesn't stop me from celebrating Him and the joy His birth, life and death brought so many millions who celebrate him today.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. Thanksgiving kicks it all off for me. As I sit here reading about New York State's newest Governor, and wondering how much more this State will sink into the abyss of bankruptcy and corruption, I truly understand the paradox of Election Day and Thanksgiving falling in the same month, just three weeks apart. But again, I digress.
Thanksgiving is all about family, food and tradition. Whether you are just starting out and trying to find your way and your voice or if you are seasoned veteran of cooking Thanksgiving dinner, I want to share some of my favorite recipes with you. Last year my oldest son took over the duties of cooking the main portion of the Thanksgiving meal, and I have been assigned some side dishes and the desserts again this year. It was a joy to pass on the big cooking duties to him. At almost 21, he's studying culinary arts and has been in the kitchen cooking since the age of 3 when he started cracking eggs for Mommy for Christmas cookies.
Here are my favorite corn and sweet potato recipes. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Till next time, I'm frugally yours!
Rachael Monaco

No comments:

Post a Comment