Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mom? What's for Dinner? Do you get that question a lot?

Swedish meatloaf with noodles and creamy gravy


I became a mom for the first time on February 25, 1990 - yep, 21 years ago. The time has FLOWN! I became a mom for the second time on September 5, 1993. My youngest will graduate from high school in about a month. Am I prepared for this? Nope! I'm all teary, but happily this son is staying put at home for a couple years and going to college locally.

Over the years I've heard the question, "Mom? What's for dinner?" at least 5 times a week, 52 weeks every year. Even if you conservatively estimate they started asking that at the age of 5, that's 16 years of ONE child saying it and another 12 years of the other son asking it! Almost 8,000 times, and that's not figuring in my husband of 13 years (and been together 15!) asking it!

I've tried posting menus on the fridge, they still ask. Both my boys have studied culinary arts, they still ask. My husband has worked in the restaurant industry for 30+ years, he still asks. My only defense has been to collect recipes, try and serve all kinds of foods. Over the years I've collected and tried thousands of recipes. I'm not kidding. Seriously.

Here are some more of my favorite recipes that we've tried and loved. We hope you try them and like them, too!

Spaghetti salad recipe
Spinach and strawberry salad recipe
Swedish meatloaf with noodles and creamy gravy
Beef stroganoff 
Beef bourguignon in the crockpot
Barbecue jelly dump chicken recipe
Chili maple glazed dump chicken recipe
Dump chicken recipes
More dump chicken recipes
Hungry Girl tacquito recipe, made over (we made it a little healthier and a little more frugal)
Vietnamese fresh spring rolls with dipping sauces
Plum sauce recipe (for your Asian cooking or for dipping sauce)
Duck sauce recipe
Soy sauce substitute

Till next time, I remain Frugally Yours!
Rachael Monaco




1 comment:

  1. This is quite a collection, Rachael. Thank you for sharing these, and for everything you do!

    (Btw, we became parents for the first and second time in June, 1990 [twin sons] so I know just what you mean!)

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete