Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pantry Challenge Day Four: What the heck are steel cut oats and C.O.R.N.?


Next week will be our first full week of our Pantry Challenge, and I have to give my family a LOT of credit for jumping in and accepting it and NOT complaining once. They ate pretty good this week! I've still got quite a bit of leftovers in my fridge and thinking about skipping over the big Sunday dinner and making them finish up what's in there. Or perhaps just making Sunday dinner and making Monday "leftover day". There's a few bowls of vegetable beef soup, some stir fry and noodles from today and one serving of chili left. There's no room in the freezer, so we really do have to eat that stuff up. Plus, leftovers that go to the freezer have a tendency to stay there until I throw them out. If they're in the fridge, they remind me that they HAVE to be eaten before I cook one more thing. We ate every single meal at home, except Tuesday's "date morning" breakfast out, and what the guys eat at the restaurants free when they are working the dinner shifts.

A few people emailed me and asked about the whole steel cut oats thing. Steel cut oats are great, and here's my "recipe" for them: Perfect steel cut oats. I buy them for 99c/pound and a little goes a long, long way. They are very filling. I serve them with chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, whatever we have), chopped cranberries, craisins, raisins, apples, ground flax seed, sugar, and coconut milk.

Asian noodles with chicken and veggies


Wondering how you did the last four days with your pantry challenge? Did you need to go shopping? We did our big shopping trip on Tuesday, but we've used almost all our fresh produce, dairy, vegan "dairy".
We barely touched the meats in the freezer at all. The only thing I pulled out and used was chicken for stir fry and the rest of a boneless ham I bought two weeks ago for $1.48/pound. We also used up the vegan breakfast sausage I bought a couple of weeks ago. Next week's shopping list is much, much smaller than I've seen in a very long time.


Pantry challenge, day four, 1/14/12

Breakfast: steel cut oats with chopped cranberries, walnuts, raisins, ground flax seed, vegan sugar and coconut milk. Cup of coffee with vegan sugar and coconut milk.

Lunch: leftovers from stir fry night (chicken and vegetables) mixed with Asian noodles, Tamari and sesame oil. Also made a small pot of French lentils and red chard for myself.

Dinner: C.O.R.N. and everyone had something different. Used up the little bit of chili, refried beans, homemade tortillas chips, shredded cheese, a small piece of fritatta from the other night. C.O.R.N stands for clean out the refrigerator night.

Total spent on groceries this week (including Tuesday's shopping): $196.97
Total spent on take out this week (including Tuesday's breakfast): $18

Till next time I remain Frugally Yours,
Rachael Monaco

No comments:

Post a Comment