Thursday, May 8, 2014

Everything I learned about cooking I learned from my Grandmothers'

I'm Italian -- and Sicilian (no, it's NOT the same thing as Italian!) also German, English, French, Welch, probably a little Russian and Polish too. And one thing I learned from my Grandmothers' (one great-grandmother, two grandmothers) -- don't you DARE waste anything!
Let's talk the basics of cooking! What do you want to know?
Everything I learned about cooking I learned from them at an early age. By the time I was 16 both my Nonni (Sicilian great-grandmother) and my Nonna (Italian grandmother) were gone, but in the short time I had with them I learned a lot. I also learned a lot from my English/German grandmother -- who grew up in the Amish/Mennonite/Quaker community. She and my Grandpa raised 4 children on a super-tight budget, tighter than any budget I ever had to work with.

I've been cooking my entire life. By the time I was 12 years old I was making dinner for our little family of 4 -- both my parents worked full time. But I realized something recently, not everyone grew up with someone to teach them how to cook. Not everyone has the kitchen appliances I have access to. Not everyone knows what the heck to do with some of the food that's out there. So, let's talk about the basics of cooking.

Post your comments here, email me directly at rachaelscookingclasses@gmail.com and let's turn the world around with some delicious and better-for-you home-cooking. Let's break the processed food and junk food habit. And let's do it together. Ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment