Make your own Greek salad dressing at home -- it's not complicated and it tastes delicious. Yes, you can probably buy bottled Greek salad dressing cheap with sales and coupons. However, look at the ingredients. Even the fat-free and reduced fat kinds aren't good for you, especially if you have health issues like high blood pressure and diabetes. The sodium, sugar and carbohydrate numbers on bottled salad dressing are staggering!
|Homemade Greek dressing -- easy and healthier than bottled|
So, make your own! A good basic oil and vinegar dressing is a great place to start (you can find the basic
oil and vinegar recipe here) and then give this homemade, make it yourself, no funny ingredients you can't pronounce Greek dressing recipe.
I make this up in batches (about 3 cups at a time) and refrigerate it for up to a month, sometimes up to two months. Note: the better quality of the olive oil you may notice that the dressing "freezes" up in the fridge. This is a GOOD thing -- a high-quality olive oil will do this (I learned that on Dr. Oz!) because it is real, honest to goodness olive oil, not olive oil blended with God knows what.
Basic Greek salad dressing recipe
Ingredients for Greek salad dressing:
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. crushed oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried dill weed
- Pinch black pepper
How to make Greek dressing from scratch:
- Add ingredients to jar with tight fitting lid.
- Shake or stir well to combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Shake or stir well before each use.
- Yield: 1 cup
- The dressing will turn a light color with a creamy texture as the oil and vinegar combine.
- Greek dressing will keep in the fridge for at least one month, maybe even two, so feel free to double or triple the recipe if you have a large enough jar or container.
And of course -- with your Greek salad give Steak Pitas with tzatziki a try for a quick weeknight dinner!
|Yummy steak pitas with tzatziki -- 30 minutes or less!|