Monday, May 5, 2014

How to make French dressing -- more make your own salad dressing recipes!

As I said in the post with the recipe for Greek dressing, you can probably get bottled French dressing cheaper on sale with coupons, but...read the label. I rarely, if ever, buy bottled salad dressings anymore. I have the ingredients on hand to make them because I buy those ingredients to make other things or to use with other foods!

Homemade French dressing -- more mayo than ketchup
I usually take a quiet Sunday, the day I do my coupon clipping and grocery lists and do-ahead cooking for the week, and make up whatever salad dressings anyone has asked for that week. Sometimes I just make up Greek dressing and French dressing for the month and unless someone asks for something different, I just leave those two in the fridge. The basic oil and vinegar is another one I'll make up once a month, too.

My husband usually makes this one up -- he's the one who likes French dressing the most. He says to add the ketchup and mayonnaise (he likes Miracle Whip instead) until you get the color you desire (he likes it a very light orange -- more Miracle Whip than ketchup) but this is his basic recipe.
French salad dressing recipe
Ingredients for French dressing
How to make basic French dressing:
  • Add ingredients to medium-sized container with with tight fitting lid.
  • Stir until all ingredients are combined.
  • Add more lemon juice if you want a bit more tang. Add more garlic powder, if desired.
  • Yield: approximately 1 cup


French dressing will keep in the fridge for at least 2 weeks, even up to a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment